Top Line

Wednesday 15 October 2014

Man gets three-month jail for rape bid on girlfriend

Man gets three-month jail for rape bid on girlfriend Marie Nammour/Senior Reporter / 16 October 2014 When quizzed by the police, the accused said she was his friend and that they had a quarrel following which she cut the relationship with him. A Jordanian man who allegedly tried to rape his girlfriend shortly before dawn after luring her to ride in his car for a little talk, has been sentenced to three months in jail. The 41-year-old, identified as K.Q., and works as an administrative assistant, has also been ordered to be deported on a sexual assault charge by the Court of First Instance. The incident happened on January 17 at International City. The Lebanese resident, 27, told the prosecutor that she had met the accused about one week earlier at a restaurant in Jumeirah. They went out for dinner four days later at a restaurant in Downtown Dubai. “We left at 10pm and headed to the beach in Jumeirah. We went in my car and parked behind a shopping centre overlooking the beach. It was very dark so K.Q. tried to hold my hand and hug me but I pushed him away. I made him understand that I only went to the beach because I felt like walking.” They did not stay there for a long time and she dropped him back at his car in the Downtown. “The following day, we went out with my friends to a restaurant in Dubai Marina. We stayed until midnight after my friends left. He then proposed to me, but I told him I’d rather not rush into a relationship.” They met the next day, on January 16. “It was 2.30am when I reached my place and I was surprised by him calling me about two hours later to say that he was in my area.” He insisted that she went down to see him outside her building. “I rode in his car after he said he would only talk to me for a few minutes. But he took me by surprise when he lowered my seat and sexually assaulted me.” She turned down his request to have sex at his or her place.He contacted her later to say he was willing to leave her alone after realising she was very upset with what he did. When quizzed by the police, the accused said she was his friend and that they had a quarrel following which she cut the relationship with him. K.Q. admitted in the interrogation to having sexually assaulted her. The verdict may be appealed within 15 days.