Top Line

Saturday 4 April 2015

‘I don’t allow anything come between me and my home ’

‘I don’t allow anything come between me and my home ’
 04.Apr.2015  DISQUS_COMMENTS  
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Mrs Olukemi Mimiko,wife of the  Ondo State governor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko,  is not a woman of many words, but she’s  one characterised   with  sheer humility and great poise. She speaks with RONKE SANYA  on how she manages  her  home front  and combines this with  her duties as the governor’s wife. Excerpts:
What does being a governor’s wife entail?
First and foremost, I am a wife. I am married to Dr Olusegun Mimiko and that’s my primary assignment and this entails being his helper, adviser, motivator and  lover. It is all-encompassing. As the wife of the governor of Ondo State, I have the opportunity of interacting  with many people—men and women, young and old across the divides—party affiliation, religious affiliation  and professionals. The people of Ondo State are loving and kind; they have shown huge support for the government of Dr Mimiko and I can’t but say thank you for that.
How do you combine your role as wife and mother with the duties of  your office?
Like I said earlier, being a wife is my primary assignment and I do not allow anything to  come between me and  my home; that is, my duties to my husband and children. My children are still young. Therefore, I try to be  close to them so as  to know where they are, what they are  doing  and to  encourage them. We have a synergy at home and it helps. The children understand their roles and we  work together as a team.
Do you encourage women to go  into politics?
Definitely. The man has got just one head and so is the woman. All  you need is to get your priorities right. If  you have  what it takes to go into politics, do not hesitate. All you need do is to seek your husband’s consent if married, make sure your home is  in order and then come out and join the party of  your choice.
Let’s talk about your pet projects.
I am the founder of  Maternal Pulse Foundation and we seek the total well-being of the woman. When you talk about the woman, it  also includes the man and the child. We provide support for families with multiple births—triplets, quadruplets, etc. As a woman,  I know that  taking care of just one baby can  be onerous, let alone three or four. Today, there are over 50 of these  babies  whom we have extended our kindness to, while  some  have already clocked five years of age. Just last month, we went to attend to the newest among them and they are all doing well. We also provide awareness in the area of  breast, ovarian and cervical cancers, among others. We give support to cancer patients, but basically, Maternal Pulse Foundation  creates  awareness and educates our people to be conversant with their bodies. I always tell people that  it is not enough to think about the latest lace  material or  ankara fabric  or even  jeans to put on, you need to take proper care of  your body need to give it the necessary attention for a healthy living. If you have attained the age of 30-35 or you are in the childbearing  age, you have to go for regular medical checkup. If  you notice anything  strange, don’t hide it, seek support and medical  attention. The first step to  addressing cancer  for example  is early detection. I know of an 80-year-old woman who detected that she had cancer early enough and it was addressed promptly and she is still living. Meanwhile, we have young, unmarried ladies in their 20s succumbing to cancer. We lost them because they did not seek support early enough. We should no longer blame our predicaments on juju or on somebody somewhere.  People around them  should not also stigmatise them, but rise to their  help. One other activity of mine is empowering indigent families,  especially  students and women.
What’s your opinion on the huge turnout of women at the just concluded presidential election?
It is an established fact that women, because of our emotions, take things more seriously. You see us more at the polling booths. Even at campaigns, you see more women and this is because we are more  concerned. Governance is about the people and the  people we are talking about are our children, husbands and daughters.  I  commend the  women for coming out en masse to exercise their  voting rights and for exhibiting  patience while queuing under the sun. They were all out carrying with them their  bottles of water and snacks. They were just wonderful. I also commend the men too.