Top Line

Wednesday 31 December 2014

Football fan dies in front of teenage daughter minutes after watching Christmas Premier League match

Football fan dies in front of teenage daughter minutes after 

watching Christmas Premier League match

Lifelong Aston Villa supporter Brian Jones was cheering on his team against Sunderland on Sunday when he passed away


Birmingham MailEmily Jones with her father Brian Jones
Football fans: Emily Jones with her dad Brian Jones at the match he sadly died at

A football fan collapsed and dead in front of his teenage daughter minutes after watching a Christmas Premier League match.
Lifelong Aston Villa supporter Brian Jones was cheering on his team against Sunderland on Sunday when he passed away.
The retired chef, 71, was with his 16-year-old daughter Emily when he collapsed moments after getting into his car near Villa's Birmingham ground.
Emily called an ambulance and shouted for help while she carried out chest compressions on her dad, a Villa fan for more than 60 years.
Fellow claret and blue Gary Birch tried to help before paramedics arrived and rushed Brian to City Hospital, but he was later pronounced dead. He had suffered a major cardiac arrest.
Devastated Emily, a trainee hairdresser, said: “We live in Lincoln but travel to see as many home games as we can. My dad was born and bred in Birmingham and Aston Villa has always been his passion and he had been going to watch the Villa for the last 61 years.’’

Birmingham MailEmily Jones picture from Aston Villa vs Sunderland match
Villa thriller: Emily took this picture during Sunday's game
 
Tragedy struck shortly after the Sunderland game, which finished goal-less.
“We really enjoyed the game, despite not seeing a goal and had made our way back to the car,’’ said Emily.
“Moments after we got in the car my dad slumped back in his seat. He was always joking around and playing tricks on me, so I thought he was just mucking around. But then I noticed saliva coming from his mouth.
“I called an ambulance and shouted for help. A man called Gary came to help as I carried out chest compressions on my dad. Paramedics then arrived and took him to hospital but he was declared dead a short time later.
“It was the most horrific moment of my life but I would like to thank Gary for supporting me. I was on my own and he really helped me get through it.”
Supporters on the Aston Villa Fans’ Facebook page now plan a touching tribute to Brian, with a minute’s applause in the 71st minute of the home match against Crystal Palace on New Year’s Day.
The former chef was married to wife Mandy and he was also dad to Kelly, 30, Amy, 29 and 33-year-old son Robert.
Emily added: “In the car on the drive to the game he was telling me about the first time he went to Villa Park when he was 10.
“He started taking me when I was seven and we tried to get to as many home games as we could. I just loved going with him, that was our special time together.
“He was a wonderful, caring, very fun man and I can’t believe he’s gone.
“I’m really grateful to the Villa fans for planning a special tribute to my dad at the game and I hope all the fans join in. My dad was devoted to the Villa - the club had a special place in his heart.”