Top Line

Thursday 27 February 2014

It is Easy to Unseat Gov Fayemi- Barr. Kole Ajayi

Barrister Kole Ajayi is the candidate of the Accord Party in the coming gubernatorial election in Ekiti state, in this interview with Alarinka, he bares his mind on the political development in the state and how he intend to unseat  the incumbent Governor Dr. Kayode Fayemi ; Excerpt


Question: What attracted you into politics? 

My inspiration into politics was borne out of the strong desire to emancipate our helpless masses in Ekiti from abject economic decimation inflicted on them by imported political merchants that have infiltrated the political terrain of the state. Also the effect of this has resulted into high level capital flight in view of the overbearing influence of economic godfatherism, hence, my strong desire to put in place a homebased government

Question: When precisely did your foray into politics start?

My foray into politics started since I was young. You know politics and partisan politics have levels. I have always been involved in the politics of my micro environment in Ekiti starting from the various associations I belong to, like being the President of Catholic Youth Association, in 1983, National President UNAD Alumni Association in year 2000, National PRO Ado-Ekiti Progressive Union. On the partisan level, I contested under Alliance for democracy in 2003 to the Ekiti State House of Assembly, in 2004, I was appointed to Ekiti State Government Advisory Council. As you can see, I have been involved in the politics of Ekiti at various levels decades ago.

Question: People are saying you don't have cognate experience. They say being a lawyer does not make you a good governor or public administrator. How do you react to that? 

Thank you very much for that question. I wish to say boldly that relatively since the inception of democracy in Ekiti, I am still the most politically experienced governorship candidate at entry point. Going through my profile, you will deduce that I have transcended the political terrain in terms of political and administrative experience. Hence, if you check the political profile of erstwhile and present governors you will know that relatively, I still have the best in terms of political experience at entry point.

Question: What have you done for the state to make them consider you the next governor of the state?

I think I have done a lot in terms of selfless services in Ekiti. I was the National Coordinator for Ekiti Progressive Forum (EPF) and the body organised Ekiti day in 2004 and 2005. The celebrations which were unprecedented in the anals of our history in Ekiti, witnessed the convergence of all our past governors; even from the Ondo State era gracing the occasion.

I was the National President of UNAD Alumni Association and my tenure influenced a lot of developments in the state university- like the Alumni building in the campus which is the first of its kind in any university in the country. I stand to be challenged. Also I was influential in the tarring of the first paved road in campus and was active in some other policy formulation throughout my stint on the Council.

As the publisher of the Forum Newspaper, my contributions to Ekiti in this aspect is unquantifiable in terms of information dissemination through balanced and unbiased reportage that Ekiti people have access to in tabloid, which is self-sustained for the past 13years of its existence.

As a former member of Ekiti State Government Advisory Council, I have contributed immensely to the development of Ekiti state generally which cannot be quantified.

In my immediate community, which is Ado-Ekiti, I have contributed in terms of being part of various developmental decisions as the National PRO. 

Question: Under which party are you contesting?

Am contesting under ACCORD which is the party that is guaranteeing the Ekitis their desire for a homebased government.

Question: Are you sure you could unseat the sitting governor? 

Yes, I am sure I will unseat him. With the scenario we have now in Ekiti, Fayemi is the cheapest and easiest to defeat because when Ekiti people say vehemently the game is up, no amount of muscling can change their minds.

Question: If yes, why are you sure that you can defeat the incumbent governor?

Am sure because Fayemi has economically and politically short changed Ekiti people and of course the level of poverty in the land is increasing day by day. He has put the state into perpetual indebtedness and Ekitis are eager to vote him out to prevent further or perpetual damage.

Question: Can you match Fayemi's achievements?

I don't know what you mean by achievements when the people are not getting any benefit, when programs of government are put in place to benefit his imported friends and godfathers. What is the rationale in taking #25 billion naira loan and the next thing is to build unnecessary government house, state pavilion, civic center, etc which are not beneficial to the economy of an average man.

Our government will focus directly on the welfare of an average Ekiti man. Most importantly, health, education, job creation through industrialization. We don't want to give details for now, in view of the fact that few of our programs we talked about were stolen by Fayemi; giving it as part of his last minute policy.

Question: What is your vision, programmes for the state? 

Our vision is very clear. Our government core values will be based on transparency, accountability, probity, public participation and sincerity of purpose. Our programs will strictly be welfarist in nature so that it will touch on the economic life of an average Ekiti man. We are still keeping details to our chest for reasons given above.

Question: How strong is your party and your personal structure?

Our party is very strong in Ekiti. We have people's sympathy because Accord is the only party that is preaching their homebased desire. Also, our party has a strong structure across the 177 wards in the state with our members visible in every household in Ekiti. Also, going through my profile, you can see that I am naturally structured.

Question: How will you finance the campaigns? Any sponsor?

Our campaigns will be financed by men of good will in our party.

Question: Do you believe in godfatherism?

No. I don't believe in godfatherism, because to me it is the bane of good governance. The economic problem we are facing now in Ekiti is as a result of overbearing influence of godfatherism and that is what we are preaching against in Accord.