Top Line

Sunday 10 March 2013

8 years old marries 61 years old , mother of five children

Helen Shabangu and Sanele Masilela

Happy couple ... Helen and Sanele pose for picture

A SCHOOLBOY aged eight ties the knot — with a woman aged 61.
Little Sanele Masilela got hitched in front of 100 guests to mum-of-five Helen Shabangu, who already has a husband.
wedding
Ringer ... boy puts band on finger of wife
The couple swapped rings and kissed in the ceremony in Tshwane, South Africa, which Sanele claimed his dead ancestors ordered him to arrange.
wedding
Bride and gloom ... newlyweds Helen Shabangu and Sanele Masilela

But he and his bride did not sign a marriage certificate and do not live together.
His family, who forked out £1,500 on the wedding, insisted it was only a ritual and was not legally binding.

Sanele said: “I told my mother I wanted to get married as I really did want to.
“I’m happy that I married Helen. When I’m older I will marry a lady my own age.”

wedding
Kiss chaste ... Helen Shabangu and her eight-year-old 'husband'

The boy’s 46-year-old mum Patience said: “Sanele’s grandfather asked him to get married before he died. He chose Helen because he loves her.

“By doing this we made the ancestors happy. If we hadn’t, something bad would have happened in the family.”
Helen said: “It is what the ancestors wanted.”