Top Line

Tuesday 12 March 2013

See the face of a golfer swallowed by 18ft sinkhole

A GOLFER became his own hole in one after being swallowed by an 18ft deep sinkhole which appeared on a course.

She said: "When he told me what had actually happened, I was just dumbfounded, and didn't even know how to process it. "I immediately thanked God that they were able to get him out. Sinkhole destroys home in Florida
Mark Mihal, 43, had been playing with pals when the earth suddenly started to move beneath him.
When his mates turned round, he had vanished into the ground at Annbriar Golf Course, Illinois in the US. But they heard him moaning at the bottom.

The fall dislocated his shoulder and he was left fearing the worst as dirt fell down around him.
Mark, a mortgage broker from Missouri, said: "I felt the ground start to collapse and it happened so fast that I couldn't do anything.

Peril ... stunned golfer Mark Mihal "I reached for the ground as I was going down and it gave way, too. It seemed like I was falling for a long time.

"The real scary part was I didn't know when I would hit bottom and what I would land on."
Mark added: "It's one of my favourite courses around. It'd be kind of strange playing that hole again for sure."

His pal Ed Magaletta climbed down and tied a rope around him.
He used his jumper to make a sling for his injury before he was winched up. They then phoned for an ambulance and contacted Mark's wife Lori.

Tragic ... Jeff Bush was killed after a sinkhole swallowed his home in Florida
"I too couldn't help but think of the recent news buzz about sinkholes and people being lost forever."

The terrifying incident happened on Friday just days after a man in Florida was killed after a sinkhole swallowed his home.

Tragic Jeff Bush, 37, was never found after the accident happened in Seffner below his bedroom.