Top Line

Monday 22 July 2013

'Child Marriage' Bill: "I voted in error," Senator Akinyelure



The Senator representing Ondo Central Senatorial district, Senator Ayo Akinyelure has apologized to the people of his constituency and

Nigerians over his ‘error vote’ in support of under-age marriage
during the last debate on the amendment to the ongoing constitution review which has generated so much criticism.

Addressing members of his senatorial district at a town hall meeting held at the Adegbemile Cultural Centre in Akure, on Monday.

Akinyleure said he voted in error and stressed that the said vote was particularly on the process for change of citizenship and not early child marriage.

While regretting his action, he assured the people of efficient and effective representation at all times.
He said: "I can never in my life support under age marriage bill, I will do what is humanly possible at my disposal to ensure that it is
removed from the constitution."