Top Line

Thursday 18 July 2013

God appeared to me personally, anointed and called me -Prophet Hezekiah


God appeared to me personally, anointed and called me -Prophet Hezekiah


Prophet Hezekiah Oladeji of Mountain of Mercy, Erio is reknowned for his fortrightness and grace of God upon him. In this interview with Wale Ojo-Lanre, he provides insight into his calling, his journey in ministry, as well as the way out of the doldrums the nation has found itself.
We learnt Prophet Ayo Babalola started on this prayer mountain during his life time...
Prophet Babalola started his evangelism work in Ikeji Arakeji, though he was an itinerant preacher and a worker with a road construction company. So, on day, he was working at a site and his tractor broke down, he mounted the tractor to check what the fault was and as he was trying to dislodge the problem, he heard a voice where he was instructed to go and get palm tree leaves and put them on the ground; one withered, the second dried while the third one was flourishing. The Lord told him that it symbolised what the assignment given to him would look like. So Babalola’s call was established by that incident though he had been a Christian before then and that was how his work started fully.
How did Apostle Babalola come to Erio?
He settled at Efon with his family, but due to his evangelism status and the call, whenever he went out to plant any church, he would look for a prayer mountain where he would pray for the power of God on that mountain to consume the spiritual powers that were affecting the community where he went to. Though there were prophets then, it was the evangelism and pastoral work of Apostle Babalola that marked a watershed in the history of Christianity in Nigeria. He made us to realise that as an African, you can pray directly to God and get answers without any sacrifice or worshipping idols.
At a time, there was a break of epidemic in the town that was consuming their children spiritually and after all efforts were made, they contacted Apostle Babalola and he delivered them through revival. This was how he moved to the mountain which he named Ori Oke Anu (Mountain of Mercy), after a while, he established a CAC church and began to shuttle between Erio and Efon. From there, he began to move to different parts of the country for evangelism and establishing churches.
How did this mountain look like when you took over?
When we came here about 11 years ago, we met just one house on this mountain. He (Babalola) built a small building here which has been renovated and all this development you are seeing are just within 11 years.
This place has become a community, how did you do it?
When God gives you an assignment, nothing is impossible. So, God has been the source of everything on this mountain.
How did you receive your call and when?
I was born at Edun Abon into a Baptist family. My father used to attend church but we had no salvation because we combined church going with rituals. I lost my mum in 1980 and before then I used to have an ailment (leg problem) which didn’t allow me to go to school. Because I couldn’t attend school, I decided to go and learn a trade and decided to become a mechanic. I left home for Osogbo in 1984 and that was the day I met Jesus. As I was alighting from a bus at the park, I heard people singing Jesu npe o ore maabo, asan ladun aye ohun gbogbo a dopin (meaning Jesus is calling you friend, come, this world is vanity everything will soon end). It was this song that fascinated me to inquire about where it was coming from and discovered that it was a church, which coincidentally, the people who came to pick me attended. That was how I joined the CAC at Araromi in Osogbo. It was also during the Baba Obadare crusade that I received healing and the leg crisis was over. One night, I was the only one in the church at about 2 a.m when I saw God. He came with Apostle Babalola and told me that they wanted to send me on an errand to the church body and to the world and asked if I would do the work. I said ‘yes’ and He (God) told me that I would be called a prophet, after which he instructed Apostle Babalola to anoint me with oil which he did and when it was morning, I saw the oil physically on my head and for about five or six days it was on me. Even till now, when I pray seriously, the oil will come out on my head.
So, that was how it all started. After that, I attempted to attend the seminary in 1991 and 1992 but I couldn’t go because God said He had trained me from heaven. Later, I eventually went but on completion, dropped the certificate at home. By this time, I was into transport business and my trade as a mechanic. In 1996, one of my vehicles had an accident and two people died. I took them to a hospital where they were confirmed dead and they said we should take them to the mortuary. I wept bitterly and God asked me, if I was ready for the assignment given to me and I said ‘I was’. He (God) asked me to enter and touch the corpses and when I did, they regained consciousness. This was a confirmation of my call. Then, I gave out all my vehicles and began a new life in Christ, I became more committed and dedicated to his work. So, CAC Canaan Land began exactly in the year 2000.
Where did you start?
We started at Garage Olode near Ife, Ile-Ife, Osun State.
Why?
This is where I was residing.
People usually troop to Oke Erio, is there any significant difference between this mountain and other prayer mountains around?
This is called mountain of favour which means that whoever comes here receives favour because nobody can achieve anything without God’s favour.
Despite your status, you look so simple, why?
Because God dwells in humility. He dwells in humility and detests pride. Whoever is arrogant and claims to be doing the work of God is romancing with the devil.
How do you finance the projects here?
It’s God’s project, we don’t have any power of our own.
Considering the facilities available on this mountain, it is obvious that you have a lot of money in developing this site. Where did you get the funds from?
The vision here is a lifetime vision, there are places in this community set aside for the presidency and other big wigs in the society. For example, there is a helipad where their helicopters will land.
God gave us the vision and to me I don’t believe in impossibilities.
Why don’t you join politics nor have politicians as friends?
Being in politics is not my calling and I don’t have politicians as friends because I am going to report to the one who sent me in heaven and not on earth.
But politicians do come here.
Yes, everybody is invited. I don’t discriminate, everybody comes here to pray to God.
Why do they call this place New Jerusalem?
May be because of the changes they have noticed.
Religious centres are fast increasing in Nigeria and so is crime rate and other unholy activities in the society, what do you think is responsible?
Do you know what, lack of basic amenities and infrastructural development is responsible for the increase in the establishment of churches today. You will agree with me that if there was regular electricity, water supply and infrastructural development, there would be reduction in the rate of church establishment because all the artisans like tailors, welders and others who, because they have no jobs venture into ministry, will return to their work.
As regards Nigeria, it is a country that is loved by God. Very soon, things will change because God is already gathering the people that will transform this nation. Whatever anybody does, God knows and is already working on transforming this nation. He is ready to change Nigeria.
What advice do you have for our leaders in Nigeria?
You see, we are all contributors to the rot in the nation one way or the other, and for Nigeria to change, everybody must be ready for that change. The only way is to return to God and do things with the fear of God. All of us must relate with one another with truth and honesty. Let the prophets tell the truth, the politicians, policemen, artisans and youths should embrace and follow the path of truth and let the government be sincere with the people.
Nobody got to the position of authority without God’s knowledge or approval. Just like the leaders we read about in the Bible and history gave their report and got judgement, so we all will get to give accounts of our deeds on earth after we die. People in positions of authority must remember that they were given an assignment and they must do it with sincerity, they should know that no adviser, especially those giving them wrong advice will stand with them when they shall give their account to their creator.