Top Line

Tuesday 25 November 2014

Read why this girl cannot stop eating bathroom sponges

"I can't stop eating bathroom sponges": Student reveals absorbing addiction since she was aged FIVE Nov 25, 2014 16:26 By Gareth Roberts, Nick Pritchard Rosie Skinner developed a craving to chew the damp wash-time accessory when she was five and has feasted on it ever since Rosie with sponges. Rosie Skinner with two white sponges. Rosie Skinner, 19, of Epsom, Surrey, eats at least two large sponges a week and has done since she was five. VIEW GALLERY Most of us have tucked into a sponge cake, but how about tucking into just the sponge without the cake? That's the food fetish of teenager Rosie Skinner, who EATS two large bathroom sponges every WEEK. The student, 19, has been addicted to feasting on sponges since she was five. Rosie, of Epsom, Surrey, cuts sponges into small pieces and sucks on the bite-size chunks throughout the day. And the Reigate Sixth Form College student said: "I have always loved the smell of a wet sponge. I crave that damp taste and feeling in my mouth. MedaviaRosie Skinner. Rosie Skinner who eats sponge. Rosie Skinner, 19, of Epsom, Surrey, eats at least two large sponges a week and has done since she was five.Warning: Rosie once had an operation to remove a ball of sponge from her stomach "I like the texture as well, it's a bit like eating cake. I might try one with some icing on one day. If I have a stressful day I love to treat myself to snack on a sponge to relax." Rosie's bizarre habit landed her in hospital aged 13 when she had to have an operation to remove a large ball of sponge from her stomach. She said: "It was a bit of a weird situation. I started having stomach aches and then they developed into really severe pains. "I was rushed to hospital where doctors removed a ball the size of a small mouse from my stomach. The doctors said it was a bit weird and they told me to stop eating sponge. "I tried to do what the doctors told me, but I can't fight my cravings entirely. Now I just chew it for a while and spit it out." MedaviaRosie and Callum. Rosie Skinner and her boyfriend Callum, 18. Rosie Skinner, 19, of Epsom, Surrey, eats at least two large sponges a week and has done since she was five.Happy couple: Rosie says boyfriend Callum, 18, thinks she is 'mad' Miss Skinner also once lost a tooth in a sponge when she was 10. She said: "I was eating a sponge and my tooth came out in it. It took me a while to explain to my mum why it was in a sponge." Miss Skinner, who favourite sponges are those available at hardware store Wilko, said she is trying to kick the habit. But she added: "I even take little sandwich bags to college with pieces of sponge in it so I can eat it during my lectures. "I would like to quit, but I still haven't grown out of the habit yet. I thought about buying a proper luxury sponge from the sea, but that would be taking things too far. "I'm not very confident doing it around people - I know it's weird. My family and my boyfriend, Callum, think I'm mad, but I don't mind, it's just part of who I am."