Top Line

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Woman spends a week in KFC to get over her break up

Woman spends a week in KFC to get over her break up A Chinese woman has spent a week in a branch of Kentucky Fried Chicken as a way of getting over the end of her relationship T 22 Oct 2014 A 26-year-old woman from Chengdu, in China's southwest Sichuan Province, has taken an unusual approach to mending her broken heart: spending a week inside Kentucky Fried Chicken, gorging on the food. Tan Shen said that she was "walking around feeling miserable" when she passed the KFC restaurant in the city's train station. She told local media: "I hadn’t planned on staying there long, I just wanted some chicken wings. But once I got in there and started eating I decided I needed time to think. "I didn’t want to go back to my apartment because it was full of memories of him. So I stayed." She telephoned her employers to say that she was sick, and was unable to go to work. And so she settled in. After a few days employees at the chicken shop noticed that the same woman was still there. "We work in shifts here and the restaurant is open 24 hours a day, so we get a lot of people coming through. At first no one really noticed her," said Jiang Li Lung, 22. "But after a few days I began thinking she looked really familiar. Then I realised we had been serving her for the past three days and that she hadn’t actually left. "When we asked her if she was OK, she said she was and just needed time to think. And then asked for another box of chicken wings with extra large fries." Miss Tan decided that it was time to leave the restaurant when, after a week, local media begun to write about her. So she telephoned her employer, said that she had decided to leave her job, and took a train to her parents home in Quingdao city in east China’s Shandong Province. "And I was getting sick of the taste of chicken so there was no point in staying there anymore," she said. Jiang Li Lung, who worked at KFC, said the staff now miss her. "It certainly made work more interesting."