Top Line

Thursday 9 October 2014

Boy aged 4 finds CONDOM in Tesco cornflakes

just as he's about to tuck into cereal Oct 09, 2014 11:37 By John Kelly Woman hears four-year-old screaming in her kitchen and finds the unopened condom sitting in the child's cereal bowl Rex / GooglestreetviewBreakfast shock: The condom was found in Tesco's own brand cornflakes A four-year-old boy was left in tears after he found an unopened condom in his Tesco cornflakes. The boy was pouring flakes from a box of the supermarket's own brand cereal into a bowl when something shiny popped out. He didn't know what the condom and was so scared he burst into tears. The boy was being looked after by his dad's fiancĂ©e at the time. At her home in Barnstaple, Devon, the woman, who asked not to be named, said: "He started screaming and there was lots of commotion." GettyCondomCondom: It's not what you expect with your cereal "I asked him what was wrong and told him to calm down and eat his cereal. "Then I looked down and saw something shiny in the bowl. "I picked out what I thought was packaging and to my horror it was a condom." Thankfully the condom was still in its packet but the youngster then began asking what it was. Apology: Tesco bosses sent this letter and offered the woman a £20 voucher The woman added: "My boyfriend came in wondering what the commotion was about and saw the condom. "His nephew was still screaming and I was trying to explain that I found it in the box. "His nephew was shouting 'there is a condom in my breakfast'. Everyone was shocked and my boyfriend was disgusted." After the incident, the woman took the box to the Tesco Extra store to complain and was given a bunch of flowers. She has also received a £20 gift voucher and an apology from Tesco - which she says is not enough. Four-year-old finds condom in his cornflakesPopular: Cornflakes are one of Britain's best-selling breakfast cereals She added: "I don't want people to think I am after money, but they told me in Tesco this is the worst thing they had found. I am stressed about the whole thing." A Tesco spokesman said: "We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our products. "Our suppliers have conducted a full investigation and we have provided our customer with a gesture of goodwill."